The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Monday, October 6, 2014

In Transit

My challenge today asks if places like train stations or airport terminals are to me soulless spaces full of distracted, stressed zombies, or magical sets for fleeting, interlocking human stories?

One of the trips I took to Vegas to see my kids is a perfect example of this. I couldn't afford to fly or drive, so I checked into Megabus. I had recently learned about its big double decker buses and its possibility of really cheap fares.
Just riding on the bus put me in contact with quite an assortment of people, but the crazy route and timetable I had to follow was a human interest story in itself. I left from Reno, then to Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and from there finally to Las Veags. The trip took me nearly 24 hours, but I got there. I got  a new assortment of folks at each time,ranging from colorfully dressed black women with bags of snacks to a dread haired musician with his girlfriend and his guitar. I also had a layover in each spot. Some quite long. None shorter than two hours. The most interesting was in San Francisco. I couldn't go far for fear of getting lost and I had my luggage to contend with, so I spent a few hours in the main bus station down town just as the city was coming to life to begin the workday. It was crazy! People everywhere, crowding in and out of buses and trains, riding bikes, and walking, all in a big hurry to get where they needed to go. Once the concession stands opened, I bought myself a soda and found myself a bench on which to sit and work on my Bible study and people watch. I was soon entertained with opera singing when a couple in costume set up shop. They put out a suitcase for donations and a radio for accompaniment and began to sing. I remember seeing a young man among the crowd with a large sign reading "Jesus Saves". I was a bit impressed with him until Isaw young people at almost each and every stop with an identical sign. Hmmm, not a coincidence I think. The worst of it was the layover in LA in the middle of the night. That bus station was not enjoyable at all, especially late at night. But I was fine. It wasn't too bad and soon I was back on the bus and headed to Vegas. I slept on the bus, read on the bus, did Bible study on the bus and a few times chatted with someone near me. It was quite an adventure and I got there in the middle of the night, but I got where I needed to go.
                                          It was a bit of a round about way, but I got there.

What we old women won't go through for our grand-babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment