The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Saturday, March 18, 2023

National Quilting Day

National Quilting Day recognizes quiltmakers and their quilt-making abilities. The word ‘quilt’ comes from the Latin word ‘culcita,’ which means stuffed sack, it became adapted to the English language from the French. Quilting practices can be found in almost every area of the world. The oldest example of a quilted piece is kept at the Saint Petersburg department of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Archaeology section. It is a linen carpet that was found in a Mongolian cave, between 100 B.C. and 200 A.D. Early American quilts were the result of patched together pieces of worn-out blankets and clothing. There was little time for creative piecing together colorful, artful patterns. These items were purely functional. By the mid 18th century Americans were making elaborate quilts designed to be handed down from mother to daughter, often pieced together from salvaged pieces of clothing and other bedding. Presently, quilting is a popular hobby, with an estimated base of twenty-one million quilters.
The National Quilting Association started National Quilting Day in 1991 and since then it has grown into a global celebration for all quilt lovers and makers. 
 The day is celebrated on the third Saturday in March every year. It's origin can be traced to the Quilters Day Out, which was organized by the Kentucky Heritage Quilt Society in 1989 to celebrate the ancient tradition and its practice in the state of Kentucky. Two years later, this event became so popular that the National Quilting Association decided to declare an official holiday for quilting and the name changed from Quilters Day Out to National Quilting Day. Over the years, this event has attracted people to celebrate from all over the world and participate in helping to build and maintain the global heritage of quilting.

2 comments:

  1. I liked to quilt every once in a way. I love making the rag quilts! Super fun and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made them in the past. I made one for my brothers fir Christmas one year and he lovingly cares for it and calls it a family heirloom. I thought I was done making them but ended up making Megan one fir Christmas last year and now I've brought home Leo's jeans to make one made a denim one from them.

    ReplyDelete