The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Happy Birthday Barbie

 March 9 is National Barbie Day! In 1959, the 11-inch tall Barbie made her debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York. She was designed by Ruth Handler, the co-founder of Mattel Inc., Barbie was created to allow girls to imagine what their lives could be like in the future. She’s had a slew of careers, from a registered nurse to an astronaut. In 1961, overwhelming demand caused Handler to release Ken, a boyfriend for Barbie. (Verdict’s out if he’s ever going to put a ring on it.) 

Barbie was inspired by Lilli, a German doll, which had a more adult look than the other dolls on the market. In 1956, while on vacation with her family, Ruth first came across the Lilli doll and noticed how enamored her 15-year-old daughter Barbara was with it. Before the creation of Barbie, most dolls were either babies or childres. Handler’s vision was to create a doll that had a grown female’s anatomy. Over the next couple of years, Handler worked to design a wholesome, American doll. Named after her daughter Barbara, Barbie debuted and crowds of people instantly fell in love with her. Her full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts, and she came with a full array of accessories

I myself had one of those original Barbies and eventually one of the original Barbie dream houses. I taught myself how to sew making clothes for her. We had a small porch in my backyard and it was there I played with Barbie and before her paper dolls. One side of the porch had a lattice that was covered in Bougainvillea and I could sit back there for hours playing and singing. I loved it. 

How about all of you?

Were you Barbie fans? Inquiring minds want to know. 



1 comment:

  1. Heck yes I was and still am a Barbie fan! My kids played with my Barbie’s and they got tons of new things to go with their Barbie’s! We spent many hours playing with your Barbie’s! My sister and I enjoyed and loved watching our girls play Barbie’s! 💖 Paula

    ReplyDelete