The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Henny Penny

Okay it's time for my writing challenge for today and here is the topic I've chosen.

Picture of an item in your house you love, and tell the story of where it came from.

 This cute little item is my Henny Penny. 
She's been in my house since about 1970. Back then everyone around me seemed to be collecting things. Owls, elephants unicorns, you name it. I was young and decided I needed to collect something as well. Those of you who know me will know that it turned out to be chickens (roosters too). Henny Penny had been in my mom's house since as far back as I can remember. I loved it, so she gave it to me and she began my collection. Many, many things have been added to my collection since then. At that time you didn't see them everywhere like you do now, so many things were added that weren't even very cute or cool. I just took what I could get pretty much. I think my mom bought me every single thing that she came upon.
Then tragedy struck. I hung a shelf in the kitchen of my first house with Tracy's dad and put a few things on it, including Henny Penny. I apparently didn't anchor it well enough and it and everything on it came crashing to the ground. My beloved Henny Penny, the first of my collection, was broken to pieces. I was heartbroken. As you can see in this next picture, I couldn't bear to part with her, so I gathered up every piece I could find, got out the glue and pieced her back together.

She still looks just as sweet from the front. She's just a little flawed if you look too closely. But aren't we all?

Many things from my collection have been discarded since, when either I was purging the house for a yard sale or as much more wonderful things were found, but not Jenny Penny. She remains with me and is much loved. 

Many years later I opened a little business of my own. I named it the Chicken Coop and many of my chickens went there to live for a while. Here's a shot of my business card.
I loved owning my business and would probably be there still today working hard and free for just the joy of it, but we needed me to bring money home and not just support the business, so sadly it was closed after only a few years. I'm sure there will be more stories about that in the future, but this one is about Henny Penny, So I close.

PS...When Megan was young she made little craft items to sell in my booths and we named her business the Nest Egg. 
Is that cute or what? 


No comments:

Post a Comment