The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Thursday, February 2, 2023

National Tater Tot Day

 


Yes folks, it's a real day and was officially recognized in 2009. They were invented in 1953 by a company named Oregon-Idaho.... Ore-Ida (When it says Ore-Ida, they're all-righta). Americans consume 3.5 billion of the little nuggets of potato goodness every year. You can find them on the menu of many restaurants. Those who don't want to go out can try their culinary skills by baking Tater tots. There are many recipes on the internet. They are created from the scraps from making French fries and were once were used to feed cattle but two brothers, Nephi and Golden Grigg, along with their brother-in-law started dabbling in frozen food when they rented a plant on the Oregon and Idaho borders in 1934. They focused on making French fries, but the waste seemed excessive so they chose to create a product it. Not only did the scrapped and shredded bits form into tasty bites when blanched and fried, but they also fit into their product line. They froze well, could be baked, and were delicious! By 1952, they purchased the plant, forming the Oregon Frozen Foods Company that would later become Ore-Ida.

Seasoned with spices or baked into a casserole, tater tots make a meal, side dish, or a snack. We dip them, pop them, or just savor them.

Here's a list of many ways you can use them to join in the national celebration.

  • Add them to a burrito.
  • Make a potato version of nachos by adding your favorite toppings to partially cooked tots then heating them through. 
  • Create a tater tot buffet with a variety of dips and seasonings.
  • Add tater tots to your burger.
  • Top a homemade pizza with tater tots.
  • Tater tots and eggs go well together.
  • Build a kabab using vegetables and marinated meat. 
  • You can share your own favorite recipes and pictures by using #NationalTaterTotDay on social media.

2 comments:

  1. I love tater tots! I love your list of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tater tots too! I even had some nachos made of tater tots lol. Paula

    ReplyDelete