The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Beem Me Back Scottie

Today I am to tell you about a sensation -- a taste, a smell, a piece of music -- that transports me back to childhood.

 Every once in a while when I'm near an older woman (Actually, I guess I fall into that category now), I catch a whiff of a certain scent that takes me back to my great grandmother's dressing table. She sat at this table when getting ready and powdered her face with loose powder and a big powder puff. 
 

What I really think of when asked this question though, is an experience I had when Michael and I bought our home in Bakersfield. The former owner had wallpapered EVERYTHING. When we began removing wallpaper in the kitchen, we discovered that there were three or four layers. A couple of layers down I discovered a layer of green paper that gave me the best feeling. I couldn't explain it but if I had been able to do it cleanly, I would have left the paper up. Even though it was super outdated and not really attractive. It just gave me the best feeling. Some time later while looking through old pictures, I discovered why. The exact Early American wallpaper was hanging in the dining room of the first home I lived in with my family growing up. I call this place my Happy Home because I have such good memories of being happy there as a child. 

So there you have it. Sensations that take me back to childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment