The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Time for S'mores!!

Today is National Graham Cracker Day!!
I was just feeding Lyla a few a bit ago to celebrate.
They definitely are a tasty snack and they really shine when used as a pie crust.
I'm always interested in what's behind these days so I thought I'd share the results of my investigation.

When Sylvester Graham first invented the slightly sweetened cracker, he intended it as a health food. In the early 1800s, the Presbyterian minister developed the cracker as part of his “Graham Diet” program. They were made from whole wheat graham flour with added bran and wheat germs. He believed his snack would curb sinful cravings. 
Today, makers use bleached white flour and blend a variety of flavors including honey, cinnamon, and chocolate. They also come in smaller bite-size snacks and fun shapes. 
While a delicious snack on their own, they also make terrific ingredients for desserts. Crushed graham crackers blended with butter and pressed into pie tins, or springform pans make excellent crusts when lightly toasted. Graham crackers layered between yogurt and fruit taste delicious in a parfait. When it comes to crumb toppings, oats, brown sugar, butter, and crushed graham crackers blended together and lightly toasted will always satisfy .

The boys and I will be going camping soon and of course that always means s'mores will make an appearance.
They are also a great snack for the grandkids.
So thanks Sylvester! 
We appreciate them!

By the way.....
Tomorrow is National Fried Chicken Day!
I'll have mine with mashed potatoes and gravy thank you. 😘


No comments:

Post a Comment