The Chicken Coop

I am a paper crafter. I've been playing with paper, and cutting and pasting for many years now and I still just love it. I teach classes each month and would love to have you.
You can find me at MyRedHen.blogspot.com and on Pinterest
or email me at MyRedHen4@yahoo.com
I'd love to hear from you.
Every now and then I have some cards or little treats available for sale that may be seen here.
My blog also contains my personal posts. Ignore them if you like, but you may get a kick out of them. Maybe my girls will read them one day and get insights into the inner workings of an old woman's brain....Scary Thought!
There is a list of labels on the right side of the blog, so you can click there to go to only the posts that you are interested in. That will allow you to skip the personal posts and any items for sale if you wish. No matter which way you choose, I hope will enjoy my little blog and visit often.

Sunday, January 29, 2023

National Puzzle Day

 Today is National Puzzle Day. 

To me that means a jigsaw puzzle. I love doing them and wish I could say that I often have one out to work on but I do not. I will blame it on little space and little time. 

Mapmaker John Spilsbury created the first jigsaw puzzle in 1767. Since then scientists have discovered that when we work on a jigsaw puzzle, we utilize both sides of the brain, improving memory, cognitive function and problem solving skills in the process. By utilizing puzzles, people can stimulate the brain improve a number of skills. It became quite a craze in the United States. Then on December 21, 1913 the first crossword puzzle was created by Arthur Wynne and published in the New York World Newspaper? It was diamond shaped and contained no internal black squares. However, it was so popular with readers that within a decade crossword puzzles were featured in almost all American newspapers. They have their own date to celebrate though. I do at least two a day on my phone. Just trying to keep the old brain vital. I cant say that I see much evidence of it working but I push on. In 2002, Jodi Jill created National Puzzle Day as a way to share her enjoyment of puzzles. As a syndicated newspaper puzzle maker and professional quiz maker, Jodi Jill developed classroom lesson plans especially for the observance and the popularity has grown year after year. 

When I was a junior in high school my parents split. I ended up living with my mom in a one bedroom apartment furnished with all we needed except a television. I don't remember missing it at all. What we did have was a card table on which my mom very often had a jigsaw puzzle going. We would work on it together and I loved spending that time with her. When finished she would add tape to the back to keep them together and they became the art on her walls. I created this card to celebrate the day. I wish I could send it to her. She would have loved it.





3 comments:

  1. I love puzzles. I have an app to do them on my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from Summer.

      Delete
    2. I do too. I do at least 2 crosswords a day.

      Delete